Monday, August 8, 2011

Uneventful

Chemo Friday was just that. Uneventful. Aside from the waiting for a chair almost as long as I waited for a table on Valentine's Day at Red Lobster in my youth (3 hours then/1hour 15 now) everything went off without a hitch. They gave me Benedryl by mouth this time...MUCH better. The Taxol went in without problem, but as the day wore on and it got close to closing time, they wanted "last call" to be coming soon. They went into debate on whether they should push the last little bit in quicker...ah...no, thank you. Let's leave well enough alone. And that's just what they did...nothing. I was out by 6:15 pm. Doable.

My husband Mark and I were just discussing this morning before he went to work, that it's been one month and one day since my surgery and about 6 weeks from when I was diagnosed. Wow. That seems hard to believe. I'm still on "lift nothing over 15 lbs", still watching my eyebrows, lashes and follicles for any signs of withdraw. Nothing but the average 80 hairs a day like the rest of you. I'm guessing that since I'm on a slightly different regimen than the standard recipe, it might take a bit longer to end up on my pillow. Purely my own prediction. We'll see. My new question about hair loss, and you'd think after 20 years of hairstyling I'd have all of the answers on this subject...Do you lose your nose hairs?

I have to take a moment to tell you all thank you. Thank you. Now don't get me wrong, it didn't take some cancer epiphany for me to know that I have an amazing community of friends and family. I already knew this. But it did take cancer to have all of you come out in droves, bombarding me with the shear volume of support via emails, cards, visits, gifts, food, phone calls and overwhelming amounts of love. I don't wish cancer on anyone, but if I could make sure that everyone had this feeling, in their lifetime, this would be a pretty awesome world to live in. Maybe that will be my new mission.

Uneventful. At least on the cancer front. I'll take it. It makes room for life. I went to a lovely wedding this weekend. I spent an evening with wonderful friends. My kids seem happy and well adjusted. My husband is amazing. Life. All the stuff we get up and put our feet on the floor for every day. Uneventful. I'll take it.

1 comment:

  1. Please know that it's a wonderful thing that this one made me cry. Love to you and your blessed family.

    ReplyDelete