Monday, July 4, 2011

The Last Supper.

It's 12:03 am. I am officially on a clear liquid diet for the next 48 hours...Yikes!

I needed to get some supplies at the store yesterday so my son and I went. I usually get the generic brand of chicken broth to cook with. I decided that since it was now considered a meal, I deserved the Wolfgang Puck brand. Fancy. It will probably taste exactly the same as the cheap kind. Go figure.

I have two days...and counting... wow.

People have been inquiring as to how I got to this point. Forgive me for redundancy, but I was in the process of switching doctors and decided it was time to have my almost 2 years late exam, so I called the doctor that was referred to me in February and was told that soonest she could get me in was on June 24th. I had some slight things that were odd. Back pain,(like I thought I needed a new couch) a face breakout, (never before in my life have I gotten zits on my face, NEVER) but nothing that said, "Hmmm, I think I should really get in to the doctor. About 1 1/2 weeks before my appointment my abdomen felt like a medicine ball was in the bottom of it. So, I called and asked if I could get in earlier. I did and after many questions, a blood draw and exam, I was asked to get an ultrasound.

I was taken into the room at Mercy in Iowa City expecting to get an ultrasound like I did when I was pregnant: A little cold goo on my tummy and away I went. Not this time. Much to my mortification (having not showered that morning) it was from, shall we say, the "inside". So I have a slight panic and try to use hand soap and paper towels to maximize my cleanliness in a matter of seconds. After I'm finished with my "spit bath" (as my grandmother would say) the tech comes in and does her thing, goes out, comes back in, takes a few more pictures, and declares she is done and that the she will be stepping out of the room so I can get dressed. She also mentions that if the phone on the wall rings to answer it. It does, I don't hear it and she steps back in to tell me to answer it. I talk to my doctor and she lets me know that I've had a ruptured ovarian cyst, an abnormal amount of fluid in my tummy (hence the heavy feeling) and that my body will absorb it.She wants me to come over to the office for a quick blood draw to check hemoglobin.  Okay, I do, it's fine and I head on my merry way.

Fast forward to a few days ago.I get a call that they want to re pap because of insufficient cell gathering could I come back on last Monday for a re pap? Sure! After most of that week, I am not feeling bad, but I'm not feeling great. Mostly bloated. We went to Cars II and after eating my weight in popcorn...my belly felt so tight.  It did not feel right. When I went for my re pap I asked my doctor if it is normal to still feel this way and she asked if I wanted a CAT scan. I asked if it was something that would just continue to absorb and she said, "Let's get you a CAT scan". I will thank her for the rest of my life (which is going to be a long one, thank you!)  for making that call. It was with that CAT scan that they found nodules on my omentum which lead them to test the fluid in my belly that they believe to be ovarian cancer. We will find out for sure, on Thursday.

And now you know the rest of the story.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the last supper...that cake...the wishes made...my wish always the same, year after year...I hold my breath, close my eyes...and wish with all my might...same thing every year. I imagine you know mine...as I know yours. Here's to it, then!xxxOnward, xxxK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for allowing Carolyn to share your blog address with the congregation of Mark's church in Coralville. I had to look up the meaning of "omentum" and thanks to Wikipedia there was a good explanation under "greater omentum." (My little story: I learned about a serious blockage in my trachea some years ago because a doctor recommended a CAT scan - and I remain thankful to that doctor today. It's not malignant, but does grow back, so treatment is ongoing.) However, it sure seems that detecting a problem with the ovaries is a big guessing game. I'm hoping and praying daily that any problems can be completely removed. You might end up getting an omectomy! ... among other "...ectomies!"

    ReplyDelete